Pages

Apartment Therapy + Pinterest

Pinterest in a wonderful thing. But let's admit, until you go back and scroll through all those ideas that you have "pinned" there are probably a handful of great ideas that you have forgotten about. At least, that is the case with me.
I am moving into my apartment in 43 days (yeah!) That is just a little over a month! I have lived in a dorm  for a number of years and shared a townhouse with 7 other people, so small living isn't unusual to me, I have never had a place that needed to hold all of my stuff. There was always a bedroom full of my junk at my parents house, even while I was away at school. I have downsized a lot, but there is still more to be done. I will be sharing an apartment with a very handsome husband not long after I move in, so I am trying to account for the space both of us will need. This post will be compiled of the things I have floating around in my head that I would like to try out when I first move in, that won't require purchasing much. Below is a super quick draft of our apartment layout. I am not entirely sure of the measurements of the apartment, so some things will probably need to be adjusted.

1. Book Cases To start off, I love book shelves about as much as a love books themselves. I own one large bookshelf, and I also have a small, but very pretty fold up shelf. They both have a dark stain, which I love. In the image above, there is a block of brown next to the desk in the middle of the room. Those are supposed to be book cases. I have no idea if there will be room for 2 or 3 (I hope 3), but they will be great for making a little "bedroom" in our studio apartment. I would ideally like to have 2 of the cases facing into the bedroom and one facing out, which could hold movies, the printer, craft stuff, or pictures. The 2 facing inward could hold our books, and anything else that seems like it should go there. I would also like to decorate the top of the shelves with pictures or something along those lines (maybe stacked on top of of between cute boxes that hold out of season things). 
2. Computers/TV We have at least 3 monitors, I have no idea what I am going to do with mine, possibly put it in one of the bookshelves facing the bedroom so we can have it has a bedroom tv when connected to the laptop. We will cross that bridge when we get there. The man's monitors will of course be attached to his computer at his desk facing the couch so we can watch movies through the computer. 
3. Table We will most likely have a small round table up against the wall where the brown square next to the kitchen is. I think there is a small window looking from the kitchen to the living room, so that seems like a good place for the table to be. We can utilize the ledge from the window to set food while eating, and converse with the cook. The ends of the table collapse, so it will be able to fit up against the wall unless we need more space, then we can unfold it. 
4. Closet I am not really sure how the arrangement of the closet will go, since I have not seen the closet that is actually ours, but I would like to put my dresser in there if I can. it is quite large, so it would be a huge space saver if we can fit it in there. It would also help with storing things vertically. 
5. Shoes are a big nuisance. I think it would be a good idea to store them in some of those ever popular fold-up cloth boxes under a bench near the entrance, or in the bottom shelf of one of the book cases facing the bedroom. I tend to take my shoes off right at the door, so I would have to work at taking them to the bedroom if we did that.  

As for the rest, I can't really say for sure what would be the best method for decorating since I do not know measurements or exactly how things look. Hopefully these ideas will be helpful to you as well as to me!