Pages

I used to be afraid of change.

After all, I spent the first 18 years of my life in the same small town, living in the same house, growing up with the same people. I didn't think I'd ever leave. I didn't think I wanted to be anywhere else. And then, by divine intervention, I found myself living 2.5 hours away from home. That isn't far, but for someone who never ventured far from home it felt like I had moved across the world. I spent the summer after my first year of college without going home hardly at all. I guess it was my way of making sure that I would not be sucked back into the life I had been living; back into routine, as if I had never left. I learned to like change. In fact, I got so used to change, that when there was not any change I got restless. I think I am still that way. I think it must be a side effect of dorm life. I would like to settle down someday, get a house, not go anywhere for awhile. But then I wonder, will I get bored? Will I get restless? I guess that is why people rearrange their furniture. It is like being in a new place, without actually going anywhere.

Something interesting I have learned about growing up, is that when we get to be a teenager, all we want to do is get away from our parents, and be on our own. But when we get a little older, we want them to be close again. I moved away from home to get away from my family and be on my own. Now, a few years later, I want not to move back to them, but from them to come and be near me! My parents, brother, best friend, I want to have my cake and eat it too. Is that selfish? Probably, and maybe after a few years, I won't want to be so close anymore. Life cycles are so weird.

And with that introduction, I had intended to write about my current life changes.
So here we go.

We got settled into our apartment, and have now lived here a little over 5 months. I started taking riding lessons again, as well as mentoring as I did in college. N found a job, and we are both working to build our savings back up after being jobless, and then only on one income for awhile. This week we were given the opportunity to move into a bigger apartment. It is in the same building, but just upstairs. In fact, all we have to do to change our address is flip the apartment number from 12 to 21. That will throw a few people off. I am actually quite content with the size of our current apartment. I think it is perfect for 2 people. But, we run into the issue of not being able to have many people over, and not being able to have them stay the night comfortably. And since we have a hole in our bathroom ceiling, we thought moving might not be such a bad idea. I guess my only concern is, is it too big? Is that weird? So this time next month we will be living in a new apartment, 6 months after moving to AR. Good thing I am OK with change.