Pages

The End is the Beginning

I seem to be neglecting my actual blog, and have been spending a lot of time on the tutorial side of things, so for today, I'll take a break and take some time for introspection.

I am apparently a restless person, as I stated in a recent post. I never really thought of myself that way, but with time moving faster (it really must legitimately start moving faster as you get older) I am noticing it more and more often. This is such a huge transitional period in my life. I think even more so than in college. People always say that college is a huge transitional time (which is true!), but when you think about it, it just draws that period out and makes going into the "real world" slightly less like jumping into freezing temperatures. More like, you will only get pneumonia if you stay in the water for an extended period of time, rather than freezing almost instantly.
Anyway...enough with the metaphors. 

Each time I sit down to write about how things are going in my life, the first thing I always think is, life is weird...and good? But I am looking forward to still better things. 
I used to think that not being satisfied with my life was a bad thing. Not to say, I am dissatisfied in anyway, don't get me wrong. I have a pretty great life (mostly due to the fact that I snagged a pretty incredible husband. But seriously. That guy makes my world spin.). But now I think of it more as looking ahead to better things. Constantly bettering myself and seeking Greater things. Thinking of the desires I have for myself and family that are just out of my reach. 

I should put a disclaimer here as I wrap up my thoughts. I do believe that looking ahead is a good thing, but I also fully believe that we should be content with the small (and big) things in the present that we have been gifted with. If you always look ahead, you will miss the present before it becomes past (profound, I know).

In light of the new year, I am going to start another resolution list, as well as follow up on last year's list.

Last year...
1) Lose weight
I think this ends up on most people's list. I did lose weight! Not as much as I had targeted, but a pretty big step in the right direction.
2) Be more motivated
Better than the year before. Keep it up!
3) Be more budget conscious
Ehh...definitely better than the year before, but still in need of a lot more effort.
4) Hand write Journal
Yeah, I didn't do this at all...oops. 
5) Complain less, Delight more
I think I did better this year, but I am still a work in progress!
6) Move
Yay! I did this!
7) Sew
Um..I didn't sew...
8) Be a better wife
Well, I am trying =)
9) Write more letters
Didn't do that either. But it was a nice idea.
10) Minimize possessions
Did a lot of this. Need to continue! 

So, that was a little depressing. This year, I am going to make less, but more specific goals.

This year...here is to 2014!
1) Become more fit
Rather than say I want to lose weight (which I do), my new goal is to be fit. Now that I have taken up riding again (my inspiration), I actually need to be fit in order to enjoy it! 

2) Live by a budget and save!
We just revamped our budget again and are looking forward to good results!

3) Build better teamwork with my husband
This is essentially the same as last year's #8, but rather than just trying to be a better wife, I want to be a better partner and develop a functional, and enjoyable rhythm of life with my man. This includes a lot of things, but in truth just things like getting up together in the morning, doing chores together, making dinner as a joint effort, and going to bed together (rather than my sitting up to finish a blog...) are the kinds of things I look forward to as making a home with my number one team member.

4) Find a home church
This is really important to me, and ever since we go married (and even before) we have just floated around and never truly found a place to call "home" before picking up and moving again. 

5) Free Resolution
Find something unexpectedly wonderful this year...and go for it!