Pages

The New Year News

For the cheesy post title, I apologize.

I have never been very good about new year's resolutions, but it never hurts to try. Here is a list. Now that it is public, I guess I have to make a greater effort.

1) Lose weight. Approx. 30 lbs.
I know pretty much every person has physical goals around the new year, but for me this is something I really want to accomplish. This time last year I weighed about 25 lbs less. I was eating well and being active before the holidays, but by the time graduation rolled around and the wedding stress kicked in there was no holding back for me. I did not know how much weight I had actually gained until much later. Then, after I started working at a cafe, I gained 10 lbs in a matter of a few months. I am starting a cleansing diet tomorrow to kick things off. I'll let you know how it goes....

2) Be more motivated
I am pretty sure college sucked every ounce of motivation out of me. I am honestly pretty lazy.

3) Be more budget conscious
When we first got married, we sat down and created a budget. Then I got a job and every month seemed different income-wise. In some ways we are pretty frugal, but since the last few months have been crazy with work schedules, we eat out a lot and have not payed much mind to our bank account as long as it has a certain amount in it. Now that we are looking into mortgages and moving, watching those extra pennies will be a little more crucial. Not to mention, knowing that your money has a place and each place has money is a pretty big stress reliever.

4) Journal 
I used to be a pretty heavy journalist, but over time and starting a handful of blogs I gradually stopped. Taking the extra quiet time to write my thoughts (outside of the computer) and journal scripture is something I really want to value and find crucial to bettering myself.

5) Complain less, Delight more
When I get stressed, or don't feel well I tend to complain a lot. I know it is a bad habit and I try to watch out for it when I feel it getting out of hand. I know it is annoying to listen to someone do nothing but complain. It tears yourself and others down. I also want to be conscious of the little things. Since moving to the city, I have basically stopped taking in my surroundings. I don't really remember the last time I looked at the stars (mostly because I can't see them) which used to be something I took time to do almost every night before going in my house. I want to delight in the little things of life and cherish moments.

6) Move
As you can read in my previous post, N and I are making plans to move back to NWA and possibly purchase a fixer-upper with a few acres of land if things go our way. Our lease here is until the first of May, but we are hoping to traverse back east long before then. We would only have to pay 60% of our remaining rent, but we have to give 60 days notice, which may put us up the creek...without even a creek (maybe not that bad, perhaps just without a boat).

7) Sew a lot, without buying new fabric until what I have is unusable
I just bought a sewing machine tonight online. I have my mom's sewing machine here, but it need the tension adjusted. Not to mention it is incredibly complicated. I have high hopes for my new sewing machine. I got it for $26 by using 3 gift cards I had crammed into my wallet. Also, I have more fabric than I know what to do with.

8) Be a better wife
Cook more, clean more, organize more, spoil my husband more. All the wife-y things I have slacked on because my husband is amazing and does all those things for me instead.

8 or 9 seems like a weird number of resolutions, so I guess I better think of 2 more....

9) Write more letters
I have been pretty good about writing thank you cards over the last few months, but I want to write actually letters. What is better than getting a hand written letter in the mail? Probably only a few things.

10) Purge...that sounds gross...how about, clean out
Cut the fat, declutter, whatever you want to call it. Minimize my earthly possessions both that I have currently have on hand, and at my parents house. Over the last 4 years I have done a lot of cleaning out, but I want to make an even greater effort to simplify my life. I don't want physical things holding me back, and I certainly don't want them holding my family back.


Ok. That seems like a pretty good list. Good balance of physical and mental resolutions I think. Tomorrow is the second day of the year and we are off to a running start!

Peace Out. (Do you remember when it was cool to say that?)