Pages

Once Upon A Time: I Received Many Blessings (100th Post!)

Let me tell you a story.

Once upon a time, there was a young early 20-something girl, fresh out of college, and using her new degree to the fullest by working in a small cafe (sarcasm). She liked her job and the people she worked with, but the pressure from the higher-ups made work miserable. She and her new husband lived in the middle of a busy city, but never got to see any of it together. You see, she worked a great 8-4 schedule with weekends free, while he worked from 4-9 most of the week plus weekends. It was a mostly miserable year.


For two quiet, scenery-loving folks, living a noisy block away from the mall in a tiny, over priced studio tucked behind a mini strip mall with nothing but a chain-link fence for viewing pleasure, you might say it was hardly an ideal first year of marriage. The desire to move back to the beautiful place they met and were married at was overwhelming.

But what were they to do? They had no means to move. No jobs or a place to live. They were not at all the kind of people to go somewhere without a plan. So they prayed about it. She cried about it. And they prayed some more. Some time later, they felt it fully on both their hearts that this was not just something they wanted, but was something God wanted for them as well. And that was exciting. And terrifying.

The young wife told a co-worker about her anxiety over moving with only faith to carry them, and no set plan for the next few months of the couple's lives. As they were talking about it, a man walked up to the counter and ordered a coffee. They made conversation and somehow wound up discussing her plans to move. He looked at her and said, I was going to visit another cafe today to do my work, but something told me I should come here. And now I know why. God wants me to tell you that you are on the right track and are doing the right thing. If you stay where you are now, you will continue to be miserable. By this time next year, you will be much happier and will be living in His Will for you. And that was all she needed.

When the timing was right, they scrounged up the money they had saved while working, turned in their job resignations, and did not renew the lease on their apartment. And then, they were homeless. But not really. They moved everything they owned (minus a table, two stools, and another large object or two) into a borrowed bedroom. You can read that story here. They used this time to visit family and rest while they hunted for jobs. Although it was completely opposite of their personalities, they did not worry about their near future, and held on to the promise that God would take care of them. After about a month, the young wife found work at a beautiful museum in the area they wanted to live. They managed to snag a nice, affordable apartment in a quiet area just outside of town. You can read that crazy story here. A few months later, the husband found decent work and they were able to replenish their savings.

The end (but not really).

Yes, this story is of course about me.
Now, almost a year to the day the man came into my cafe with a message, I am telling you this story. I have not felt able to fully share the story publicly, as this stranger was ministering to me very personally. But, I felt the need to share it now. Not to talk about how great my faith is (but seriously, it would have been way easier if I had half the amount of faith I should), or how great my life is (I could complain about it all day long if I wanted to. Honestly, I am quite selfish. If my husband was not so wonderful, he could tell you.), but rather to give you some encouragement if you are in an awkward point of your life, and to record it for myself, so I do not forget God's faithfulness despite my selfishness.

Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?

“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 

So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. (Matthew 6:25-34)

On a side note, today I was given a wonderful gift. It was an encouragement during a stressful time and a huge blessing. I don't need to say who or what it was, but you know who you are. Thank you. With all my heart. You can be sure I will pay it forward.